Find that edge and you’ve got the competitive advantage. The new generation of trainers and competitors don’t want claims. They want results. Ultium® Competition Horse Formula is highly researched nutrition for the high energy demands of hard-working equine athletes, allowing them to compete at their highest levels. When others hit the wall, your horse keeps going.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND ULTIUM® COMPETITION HORSE FORMULA
Patented, proprietary technology is the culmination of decades of Purina® equine research. Ultium® Competition Horse Formula has been successfully field-tested across a wide spectrum of competitive disciplines.
Unique “pellets and extruded Amplify® nuggets” aim to prevent sorting, reduce waste and transport easily. Highly palatable and digestible, it’s “nutrient dense,” and “highly efficient” so you can “feed less.”
Sustained Energy System® features a unique blend of three (3) fuel sources:
2. Fermentable Fiber
3. Soluble carbohydrates (starch and sugar)
Research in horses has shown that the dietary energy source can influence activity and excitability. Specifically, when compared to concentrates high in starch and sugar, the feeding of a diet higher in fat and fiber but with less starch and sugar helps promote more manageable behavior. Ultium® Competition Horse Formula seamlessly “blends” three fuel sources into a smooth, unbroken “steady” stream of energy. Horses consuming Ultium® Competition Horse Formula will receive more calories from highly digestible fiber sources and vegetable oils, and fewer calories from sugar and starch than if they were being fed a traditional grain based diet. This type of dietary formulation provides the horse with what is referred to as “cool” energy. Studies have shown that certain horses are sensitive to higher levels of sugar and starch in their diet. These horses tend to be less excitable and more manageable when fed lower levels of starch and sugar.
Features & Benefits
Sustained Energy System®
A unique blend of three fuel sources to provide a steady level of highly digestible energy: soluble carbohydrates, fats and fermentable fiber. A horse that is mentally focused, controllable and manageable has the best chance of winning.
Targeted Nutrition Delivery System
Quickly transports repair nutrients where they’re needed most. Unique amino acid profile and top-quality fuel sources replenish glycogen and protein stores in muscles to assist in muscle repair with less muscle fatigue for faster bounce back, competition after competition.
Nutrient and Energy-Dense
Supports prolonged stamina and endurance while maintaining the equine athlete in peak competitive condition. Less feed is required for maintenance of body condition when compared to feeds with lower energy density, helping prevent digestive upset.
Reduced Starch, Higher Fat
May help reduce the risk of colic and other digestive disturbances that can occur when feeding large quantities of grain
Purina® Amplify® High-Fat Nugget
A proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flax seed and rice bran smooths the glucose and insulin response to dietary starch and sugar, leveling out blood sugar levels for a pronounced calming effect.
Precise Amino Acid Profile
For optimal muscle performance and recovery. Promotes muscle tone and a strong top line.
Highly Fermentable Fiber
Metabolized in the hindgut, providing slow-releasing energy and preserving muscle glycogen. Anecdotal evidence in field tests also indicates Ultium® Competition Horse Formula may be beneficial for horses that have a tendency to “tie up.”
Balance of Vitamins and Minerals
Including B-Vitamins, Iron, Copper, Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium: blood-building nutrients that help optimize red blood cell production and increase oxygen capacity in exercising horses. The proper balance of Calcium and Phosphorus promotes stronger bones.
Including Vitamins E, C and Selenium help address the negative effects of free radicals and support a strong immune system
Designed to be fed with hay or pasture
||||Weight of Horse in Pounds|
|Moderate Work (pounds of feed per day)||5.00||5.50||6.00||6.5||7.25||8.0||8.5||9.25|
|Heavy Work (pounds of feed per day)||6.25||7.0||7.75||8.5||9.25||10||10.75||11.5|
|Very Heavy Work (pounds of feed per day)||9.25||10.25||11.5||12.5||13.75||15||16||17.25|
For horses sensitive to dietary carbohydrates, please consult with a veterinarian or nutritionist for a recommended diet.
- Feeding rates will vary with size, age, temperament, health status, forage quality,climate and activity level. Feed at regular times - at least twice daily - with three daily feedings preferred. Let horses feed in a natural position from troughs with large bottoms, placed at normal head height or lower. Do not feed free-choice. Prevent the rapid eating by the horse of any feedstuff.
- Reduce and/or delay feeding a horse which is hot, excited or showing pain, has fever or diarrhea. Consult your veterinarian if any problems arise.
- Always feed a minimum of 1.0 to 1.2 lbs per 100 lbs of body weight of good quality,clean hay or the equivalent in pasture.
- Any feed changes should be made gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days. Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed 1.0 lb per day for each horse.
- Have plenty of clean, fresh water available at all times. Provide your horse with access to salt. Maintain an effective control program for internal parasites. Have the horse's teeth examined annually and consult your veterinarian on a regular basis.
- Make the feed change gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days.
- Mix the new feed with the old, gradually increasing the amount of the new feed while decreasing an equal amount of the old.
- Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed 1 pound per day for each horse.